Saturday, January 26, 2008

Delhi Diary



Brrr it's cold. Don't remember a colder Rashtrapati Bhavan Republic Day Reception in the past 18 or so that I have attended. The gatherings at the Reception have grown enormously in recent years. It was a couple of hundred's in the Eighties but now a couple of thousand.















The Mughal Gardens through which the guests walk was resplendent with a variety of roses, petunias and pansies in full bloom. The other winter annuals are yet to start blooming. One does get chance to meet with old friends. There was as usual a preponderance of Defence Forces officers but one also spotted faces of a known politicians of yest er-years ( Buta Singh V. C Shukla),artists,writers and scribes; met a few friends in the bureaucracy and police. All in all the function still carries the aura and grandeur of the Raj with buglers on hte ramparts of the Presidential palace heralding the arrival of our first Lady PresidentPratibhaji and Zarkozy, her French counterpart who was Chief Guest at India's 59th Republic day celeberations.















With icy winds blowing over Rashtrapati Bhavan lawns under an overcast sky, there was less glamour to be seen among the guests! Ladies had to cover their backless Cholis with Pashmina and Jamavar shawls. Many in the gathering were disappointed not to get a glimpse of Bruni the French President's girlfriend who according to media gossip was to have joined him at the Taj in Agra ,which he visited immediately after the Republic Day Parade in the morning. There was a 30 minute holdup in the proceedings due to the delayed arrival of Zarkosy's flight from Agra.















Have to attend my Chhotey Mama's younger daughter's son's wedding in the Delhi Cantt later in the evening, Trying to brace myself for this heroic act by lacing myself with Rum in Hot water with Daalchini and Laung. Will wear leggings and thermal vest underneath the Band Gala. Why can't we do something about the Delhi weddings- like making them strictly family affairs or holding much smaller Receptions spread over a year ( a memorable event like marriage should not be allowed to fade away in the one week). This would bring relief to the hundreds of guests who have to travel long distances and face traffic jams to be there at Farm Houses and Party Places in far corners of the city. The experience during peak wedding dates is nightamarish. And yet the Melas continue. Because they came so you go!!











Incidentally, I wore my dark Pinstiped Sherwani and Churidar to the RPB Reception and the comments from friends were very interesting. I quote a few- Very Elegant and approprate"; "Hope to wear this one day if I can stay in shape"; " Didn't know you had joined politics"; " Have you converted ?"- all speaking volumes for background of those who made them. I tried explaining to a few that "this was the only formal wear used by my family for generations so I am comfotable in them"to the presribed and dress worn by all first generation leaders of free India from the North. But I gave up!!






Will attempt attaching a few pictures from my outdoor garden as promised and encouraged to do by Abhiram my older son in his comments added to my last Blog tomorrow, if I manage to save it with my limited knowledge of computronics!!





For your viewing pleasure are attched a few pictures of fresh blooms in my home garden taken this morning with my Nikon Coolpix

C U next week .

Have a great week ahead

































2 comments:

abschow said...

Dad only one of the photos, came through - the red pansie, may have been the first one you posted ! But the other text was disjointed - did you try to post several more? Not sure why - it shouldnt be the case that you are permitted to attach only one photo per post.

You really should read the book I ws describing City of Djinns by Darlymple - I had picked up my copy at the Janpath book shop when I was in Delhi - but I am sure you will find it in Khan Market just as well.
It has an interesting anecdote about Lutyens - and perhaps your next trip to Rashtrapati Bhavan will have added context !
love,
Abhiram

Desimaali said...

Thanks Bitto
Will certainly read The City of Djins soon Had read his Wite Mughuls and enjoyed it. Also heard him reading from this book in DC.
I am presently reading Gladwell's Tipping Point.
Will try to post mre Pix in my next Blog
Dad