Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Uncertainties Over Delhi





Hi Folks

It has been uncertainties all the way this week. Future of the Nuclear Deal; future of the UPA Govt at the Centre; the way inflation is heading; the speed at which the oil prices are heading noth and the stock market south; progress of the Monsoons; and what's in store for India in the short term and long, for those who love it.

My answers: The deal is not bigger than India.The UPA should hold because even a poltical novice like me knows that if the polls are held any time soon, the BJP will have a huge advantage mainly due to price rise. The future of India is good because the country has remained unshaken on the democratic path, despite several ups and downs.Because Indians are basically peace loving and God Fearing peple. But we have to move away from superstitions, religious intolerance,"Mobraj" castism, and bring down the birth rate by aiming for 100 % literacy, particularly of our female population.Each one of us has to do one's bit to improve matters, instead of looking to and blaming the Govt agencies.India shall bounce back. It is a matter of time.Does it sound a la Kalaam?

"Umas"( humidity) punctuated by brief cool spells of rain best descibes the weather conditions over Dilli the past week.My guess is that the monsoons are good and the early Kharif crop should bring relief by Dussehra - Diwali.

An article written by my sister in a Home and Parents Magazine of Mumbai on N. Lal ICS brings back memories of perhaps the most unforgettable character out of my childhood.Actual name Nathi Lal- profession- domestic help in a large upper middle class ex- Zamindar family of "Munshis"( Civil Servants of UP).The ICS stands for "Indian Children Service" given to him by my cousin also a Civil servant ( IRS). Very apt I think- looking at the devotion, love and care with which he brought up our large family of six siblings in Meerut.

His family background remains an enigma to this day. He made us believe that his father was a well- to- do " Kazanchi" ( probably Accountant but literal meaning Treasurer) of the Maharajah of Bikaner. He was spoilt due to his father's immense wealth: fell in love with " Shyama" a ravishingly beautiful nautch-girl who he wanted to marry. His father naturally disapproved. So Nathi Lal,smitten by Shyama's beauty, fled from home and eloped with her.The honey- moon was a romantic journey through the most idyllic spots, paid for by money and jewels he stole from his father. He related unbelievable tales of how he made tea for his beloved Shyama when she expressed the desire for a cuppa by lighting a fire of currency notes.No surprise that the money did not last long.

This romantic love story had a sad ending. Shyama fell terminally ill, and died in his arms.After that he went berserk-wandered in the wilderness joining a band of " Aghori", Sadhus ( a Tantrik cult which leads the most defiled life- living at the Burning Ghats, eating jungle produce, drinking urine and eating excreta), in their quest for inner peace and tranquility.Nathi Lal's father discovered his lost son in this state of utter disillusionment and despair.Why he turned to my "Tau" ( father's elder brother), who was Sessions Judge of the District, is not quite understood by me. But Tau who already had enough help at his home, turned to his younger brother, my father who was also posted in the same district of western UP. Nathi Lal was I believe employed as a tennis ball picker in the Officers Club patronised by both Pitajee and Tau.One day, he somehow ventured from the Club to my father's home. There he got hooked on the happy home atmospherics. That's the best I can do to explain N Lal's entry into the Chowdhry household, relying, on my adolescent ears.

Nathi Lal had extraordinary qualities of head & and heart He was a friend,philosopher and guide to all seven of us, in varying degrees. I may be wrong but I feel that I got the maximum out of his abundant love and care. He kept us all smiling and in good cheer while feeding us, reaching us to our schools and bringing us our lunch in school buying sweets and fruits, often out of his own pocket,on the way on the bicycle or cycle-Rikshaw that he rode all day long.

He was the first to wake up and last to go to bed. If you add our old grandparents who also lived with us, to the seven children, the range of the chores he ran for all of us was truly amazing.He would often take cudgels on our behalf with not only our parents but also with our teachers in school. Much to my embarrassment, he would occasionally burst into my class room with " Excuse me Madam but I must feed my Baba since I could not reach in time to catch the Lunch Break". He would mock at my rebukes at indulging in such antics.He was proud of his fluency with the English lanuage.

My brother and I had the happiest of times accomanying N Lal to the neighbourhood "Ram Leelas" afer dinner, when we would be seated in the front row of VIPs, and he would buy us "Teer Kamaans" and sweets at the stalls. Our young chests would fill with pride when the drama on stage was interrupted to annouce cash rewards mostly to the artist playing " Hanumanji". I also loved accompany him to the 'Halwai" shops for the "Kulhar" milk and Barfi treats .

He did go home to Mathura once in year to catch up with his family and returned frequently before time with lots of goodies like the special " Pedas, " Khurchan" and " Kulia " sweets ( "Rabri" set in tiny earthen "Kulhars") which all loved. Much later during one of my visits to Mathura, I looked for N Lal's " Kulias' all over, but couldn't find them. No one knew what local variety of sweet I was talking about!

N Lal ICS served us for over three decades till after I joined service. He fell ill and was forced to join his family in his last days. I used to receive his Post Cards full of love and grief at having been forced to leave our home. Also pleading to send him money to tide over the difficult financial position of his children to which I always responded as best as I could. Then one day, I heard from my parents that he was no more. I think it was 1973.

Could trace two pictures of Nathi Lal which I scanned and uploaded. I think in the picture of the younger N Lal, he has my eldest sister in his caring and solid lap. Hope you are able to see the nowblurred B & W pictures of my vivid childhood memories.There two other picture of Lagestromia India shrub in full bloom on the Satya Marg roundabout and a Gajania bloom in glorious yellow at home.


That's all for this week.

Lots of love and luck from your Desi Maali in Delhi













a

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the pics especially the one of NL and Indra Bua!

-Ankur

Malavika said...

Nice read, Chacha. Esp the part of Nathi Lal Heard so much from Daddy about him as well.

I'll try to take printouts for Mummy, she'd really enjoy it.

Much love,
Mithi

Anonymous said...

Great post dad, great to see N Lal coming to life here. We had heard so much about him all our lives and its the first time I have seen pics! Love, Abhiram